Treat Your Eye Allergies at The Vision Place In San Antonio, TX
Eye allergies can be extremely debilitating and uncomfortable. At The Vision Place, our San Antonio optometry staff (led by Dr. Sandra Palomino) is committed to helping men, women, and children suffering from eye allergy symptoms find effective and long-lasting relief.
Let's Get a Clearer Picture About Eye Allergies: Causes & Symptoms
An allergic reaction happens when your immune system goes overboard in response to the contact of a substance that is generally considered non-harmful; however, your body conflates it with something dangerous. In response to this perceived threat, the immune system releases molecules like histamines to attack and destroy the "foreign invader," or allergen. It's not always clear why exactly this occurs, but it's important to know that allergies can occur and develop at any age.
With eye allergies, the immune system launches into overdrive in order to protect the eyes from common allergens such as:
- Pet Dander
- Contact solution
- Cosmetic products
Once this immune response happens, you'll probably notice it. Symptoms will develop, including:
- Eye redness and swelling near the eyes
- Irritation, dryness, burning, and itchiness (eyes may feel gritty or as if something is stuck in them)
- Watering (if this excess fluid dries out overnight, it can lead to crusty residue)
- Photosensitivity (bright lights and glare become unusually uncomfortable)
Taking the "wait and see" approach to eye allergies isn't recommended, because if you itch or rub your irritated eyes, you run the risk of additional complications such as eye infections or corneal scratches.
How Our San Antonio Optometrist Diagnoses & Manages Eye Allergies
Our San Antonio optometrist offers a variety of services that can help you understand A) what's causing your eye allergies and B) find much relief from your symptoms.
First, Dr. Palomino will run various tests and procedures (including questionnaires about your current and past medical history) to determine what's triggering your allergy. This is important to know so appropriate steps can be taken to eliminate or avoid that allergen moving forward.
She'll also initiate an appropriate treatment plan to relieve your symptoms. Common treatments include:
- Anti-histamine eye drops, anti-steroidal eye drops, or moisturizing eye drops to soothe inflammation, discomfort, and dryness
- Updated or modified vision correction prescription (e.g., glasses instead of contacts)
- Patient education for at-home soothing techniques (e.g., cool compress)
Eye Allergies Disrupting Your Daily Life? Get Customized Healing With Help From Our Optometrist In San Antonio TX!
You don't have to suffer through the symptoms of your eye allergies—contact The Vision Place today to schedule an informative and effective appointment with our optometrist in San Antonio, TX. Call (210) 764-1113 now!